The Didrichsen Art Museum has attracted over 600,000 visitors since it first opened its doors on 1 September 1965. Founded by Gunnar Didrichsen, a Danish business man, and his Finnish-Swedish wife Marie-Louise, the museum is based on the couple’s own art collection. Since the beginning, architecture has been part of the museum, which is just as important as the art itself. The Didrichsen family home, Villa Didrichsen, was designed by renowned Finnish architect Viljo Revell (1910-1964), who later also designed an additional art gallery wing to the home.